February 05, 2006

"Pick Up The Phone"

This was the weekend of unexpected phone calls and blasts from the pasts. On Thursday after work I had a hair appointment. While under the shampoo bowl, my phone starts to vibrate on my hip. While I'm being serviced in a salon I make sure my phone is on vibrate. I hate to be in the beauty shop and hear somebody's annoying ringtone on the highest octave and they KNOW they can't answer it while in the chair. When I finally got a chance to check who it was that called, it was an unfamiliar number. Cool---I don't answer unknown phone numbers anyway. But something in the back of my mind keeps telling me I know this number from waaaaaay back. Then I notice the caller was so gracious as to leave me a voicemail. So I nonchalantly check it while under the hair dryer. Soon as I heard the voice, my mouth dropped. I hit "1-1" to repeat the message. OMG---its really him. My very first boyfriend. And he sounds exactly the same! That same extra deep, suave, smooth, convincing voice. Last time we talked was years and years ago and he was living out of state. Apparently, he is back in Detroit for a few months. Looking back, I don't really remember why we stopped talking. I didn't cheat. He didn't cheat. I think we just kinda grew up and grew apart. But he was a VERY GOOD friend and confidante. My intentions were to call him back SOON as I got home from the hair salon. But I got preoccupied and eventually fell asleep.

Then on Friday I got another unexpected phonecall that led to consuming my whole weekend. It all started when I answered my phone during lunchtime. It was my old best friend from high school days! I had been in contact with her mother recently. We decided to go out for drinks Friday night. I must admit I was pretty nervous. I hadn't seen her in years. And our friendship kinda disentigrated when I moved away to college. So I get to the bar first and have a seat. I had no idea what she looked like now, and I've changed too since she last saw me. Shortly after I arrived, she strolled in. We excitedly hugged and started yapping away. Ordered about 3 or 4 rounds of drinks and ate. Then we went to the late night show. Ain't nothin' like going to the movies blowed! Everything is exaggerated. I broke the armrest on the seat, she bumped into walls, we laughed at everything. I am surprised nobody in the theatre got an attitude and told us to shut up. We both had so much fun reminscing and catching up. That night I realized just how much I missed her friendship. And the next morning I realized just how much I had to drink! My headache was off the richter scale. I even threw up. I wasn't even drunk though! But mind you, this was my first time really drinking since my birthday blackout in September. I even missed my 10am standing nail appointment. Finally at 1pm I dragged myself out the bed to get my nails done. Couldn't miss that! Then I had to visit my rental property afterwards. I hopped right back in the bed by 5pm with the same migraine and didn't wake up until 9am this morning!

By noon I was out downtown enjoying the Super Bowl festivities. So that was my weekend folks. How was yours?

No comments: